Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm sick of myself

I know I've been rather quiet of late, but I'm going through one of those periods of having SO MUCH to say, but none of it seems worth remarking upon.  I'm living too much in my own head, which is a constant failure of mine, you might note.  It's funny because I feel like I have so much to say, but perhaps I have already said it all, or someone else has - clearer, more convincingly, more precisely. I spend a lot of time reading things, marking things, copying things, pinning things, caught between thinking "Thank god, other people feel this way too!" and "See: Someone else has said it already, so keep your own ramblings to yourself." I am feeling both unworthy and completely worldly - as if I am learning new things every single minute of every single day, but they were things that everyone else has already known, and I am just the last to catch on.

 I am going through a period of change, that much is certain, and it's quite unnerving to look at yourself and not recognize the person you are becoming.  Some of the changes are positive, and purposeful and challenging - things I have been working so hard to address in myself, and am finally starting to see improvements in.  Others are things I had no real concept of - I didn't even begin to think they were lurking in the corners, waiting to greet me when I finally got around to them.  These are the most unwelcome, of course, the ones that spring up just when you think you've finally got something conquered... "But wait," it says, slithering out just as you're congratulating yourself on some great accomplishment, some true challenge that you have met with all your courage, "you've forgotten about me, and I am a much more formidable foe than the last fellow."  It seems there are no end of corners, no end of foes. 

And, again, at the same time, I find myself completely sick of how much I am thinking of myself - all of this questioning and second guessing, and erasing of mental tapes, and it begins to seem as if I do little else but sit and contemplate my own life, or read others accounts of how they contemplated their lives and strive to apply it to my own struggles.  Which, while a worthy goal, does not a good friend, sister, aunt, daughter, granddaughter make. 

So everyone else's worries pile in, or my worries about their worries, if I am being specific.  Or my worries that I am ignoring them, being selfish, not giving them the attention they deserve.  And somehow, in that muddle, I've come full circle again, and am thinking about my own faults and follies, instead of the people I was meant to be attending to. 

I don't know about you, but all this introspection is giving me a headache.  I'm going to do something for somebody else today: I don't care who, just so long as I'm not stuck in my own mental muddle for one more minute. 

1 comment:

Sue Jackson said...

I know just what you mean. I feel that way, too, sometimes. After 6 years of blogging, sometimes I feel like everything that's worth saying has already been said.

But you know, the funny thing is, when I do write (yet again) about how I'm feeling, there is always someone who replies and says they feel the same way.

So keep putting it out there!

I am way behind in blog reading, so I hope you are doing better by now.

Sue