Friday, November 15, 2013

I don't know if you guys are on Twitter

but I highly recommend checking out the #solidarityisfortheablebodied hashtag that's trending right now (Friday night, around 8 pm). 

It's enlightening, and I consider myself pretty disability savvy.  You never know everything, though; my issues as someone with chronic illnesses and various disabilities is different from even people with the same illnesses, and the spectrum of disabilities is wide and varied.  This is one of the reasons I love the Internet, because it shows you all the things you don't know you don't know. And it makes me feel SO MUCH LESS ALONE.

I don't know how many times I've said it here, or how many ways, but I don't think I could ever state it too much ~ I don't know what I would do if I didn't have a place to find 'my' people, to hear other people say the things my brain has been shouting at me, and to realize that it's not just my own ridiculous crap.  That doesn't just apply to chronic illness parts of me either - finding book nerd friends, and pop culture geeks and moms who don't care that I don't have kids (yet) and people who know they're writers but really would rather do anything besides actual put words on a paper (until they are doing it) - all the various parts of me that I have found echoed in other people online has made me feel so much more connected, so much more a part of things.

Anyways, if you're up for some learning, check out #solidarityisfortheablebodied - I guarantee there will be something there that makes you go 'hmm.'

No comments: